As we are entering festivity season our health is being taxed by endless parties, stress of the holidays, alcohol, sugar and sub-optimal nutrients. All of these will cheer us up temporarily, but will weaken our defenses. The next thing you know, cold and flu symptoms will start popping up. To better protect your body during this vulnerable season make sure you follow these simple recommendations and be prepared before symptoms start creeping up on you. Make sure you have mentioned products to support your body to stand strong and resilient against the cold and flu season.
This is what I do and recommend to my patients and family.
Follow this protocol on the daily basis to protect yourself against cold and flu:
- Argentyl 23 (silver hydrosol solution) available in the spray or gel form. This silver solution is a safe and powerful antimicrobial substance. Unlike antibiotics that kill only bacteria, silver solution kills viruses, bacteria and fungi. Use Silver water once per day for prevention, and more frequently if you are sick (4-5x/day). Continue for few days after complete recovery. You can also use it as a hand sanitizer without harmful additives. The gel preparation is great to use on any skin wounds instead of antibiotic ointments.
- Take Echinasia Premium by MediHerb (this is a pharmaceutical quality product and guarantees the best quality with a reasonable price) – 2 tabs per day
- Vitamin D3 – 2,000 to 5,000un per day. Studies show that adequate supplementation of this essential nutrient is crucial for stronger immune system. Also, next time you have your blood test ask to check the level of 25-OH Vit D. If you are not a good daily supplement taker take 50,000un of Vit D3 on 10th, 20th and 30thday of the month. Set your alarm!
- Probiotics – 20-25 Bln wide spectrum professional grade probiotics taken with food 3-4 times per week. Always keep probiotics in the house! These are your immune system’s best friends!
- Eat plenty of fresh and fermented foods on the daily basis (sauerkrauts, pickles, etc. ) – those are the great sources of phytonutrients that wholesomely protect you on many levels.
If you are sick:
- Immediately take Oscillococcinum ® – a powerful homeopathic medicine proven to shorten the duration of cold/flu symptoms IF TAKEN EARLY!! Ideally should be taken at the first sign of sickness and within the first 24 hours. I also recommend to take one dose after exposure to someone who is sick with upper respiratory infection symptoms, like someone at work or at home. This is also an excellent preventative method for kids if given weekly (on Sundays) during the cold season.
- Vitamin D3 take 50,000 units once a day, for 3 days ONLY. This nutrient blocks multiplication of viruses and abrupt development of the cold/flu. http://www.virologyj.com/content/5/1/29
- Zinc at 25-30mg twice per day until recover. Be sure to take with food, as Zinc may upset your stomach. Currently I use Zinc Liver Chelate, which is a food source of the zinc and other factors that provide better bio availability of this vital nutrient into your blood.
- Probiotics – double the dose (40-50 Bln colony forming units) if you are sick or getting sick until you are fully recovered, then go back to the standard dose
- Andrographis (MediHerb) – 2 tab every 2-3 hours for the first day, followed by 2 tabs 3 times per day until full recovery. It is powerful antiviral herb that help you fast to recover from any viral infection.
- Echinasia Premium (MediHerb) – 2 tabs 3 times per day until full recovery.
- Immune triad: Cataplex C, Cataplex F and Calcium Lactate 2 tabs of each x 3 times per day for the time of being sick and a week after being symptoms free. Call the office to obtain the instructions how to order these products on line or to have it delivered to you.
Purchase a good quality honey (ideally raw and locally made) and the bright golden colored spice curcumin, found in any spice counter. Make a 1:1 ratio mixture of the curcumin and honey (one tablespoon of curcumin and one tablespoon of honey). You should end up with a mayonnaise-like consistency. Take ½ teaspoon of the thick mixture and suck on it for sore throats or to simply tune up your immune system. Do this 2-3 times per day if you are sick, or once a day as an excellent preventative measure. If you prefer to drink it mix it with a glass of hot water steeped with pieces of ginger. It makes a great winter drink because it is very warming and invigorating.
Drink one cup of green tea (or plain warm boiled water) every hour, it will help your body to detoxify from dying bacteria and viruses.
I find that my compliance with daily supplement has improved since I started using the pill tray( call the office for a free tray). If I feel too lazy to swallow them I just put them into the blender on the morning and drink it with my morning protein shake. Have you tried my Best Breakfast Complete or Advanced Detox or Whey-To-GO shake? Make sure you try it the next time you are in the office.
Also remember, if you need to get back on your feet faster we offer intravenous drips (IV drips) for cold and flu treatments with mega doses of Vitamin C, Zinc and other nutrients to support your immune system and speed up recovery. Call our office to schedule IV drip session.
Stop by at our office to stock up on all the cold and flu prevention and treatment supply.
Stay Healthy Wealthy & Wise,
Elena Klimenko, MD